CASTELLO DI MIRAMARE - MUSEO STORICO

web site terms of use

The History - The Park

The Park of Miramare, with a surface of 22 hectares, is the result of Maximilian’s long and demanding project on the rocky promontory of Grignano, which originally resembled a Karst area almost devoid of vegetation.

The site was planned and arranged by Carl Junker, though as far as the botanical features were concerned a gardener, Josef Laube, was called in. He was later
Replaced, in 1859, by Anton Jelinek, a Bohemian who had taken part in the frigate 'Novara'’s expedition around the world.

Large quantities of soil were imported from Styria and Carinthia, and nurserymen, mostly from the Lombardy - Veneto region, obtained a rich variety of tree and shrub species, many from abroad. Maximilian constantly kept up with the work, which started in spring, and never stopped being interested in his garden even when he had moved to Mexico, whence he sent back numerous species of trees.

The dominant aspect of the area is “woodland”, in harmony with the orological features of the place: trees alternating with grassy spaces, winding paths, gazebos and ponds, recall the romantic principles of the English landscape garden. The south-west zone, protected from the wind, accommodates geometrically imposed areas, as in the case of the Italian-style garden in front of the “Kaffeehaus”, or of the well-arranged flowerbeds around the harbour.

The Park of Miramare, which in its purchaser’s intentions was to be an experimental centre for the reforestation and acclimatisation of rare botanic species, is a complex at once natural and artificial: in it one can, even today, breathe a meaningful atmosphere intimately linked to the life of Maximilian, and at the same time capture the relationship with nature characteristic of an age.

In the one should point out, in particular: the sculptures produced by the Berlin firm Moritz Geiss; the greenhouses, with glass partitions opening within the original iron framework; the “Swiss Cottage” which is on the edge of the swans’ pond; the small square with the cannons donated by Leopoldo l of Belgium; the Chapel of  San Canciano with a wooden crucifix which, according to tradition, was carved from the wood of the warship Novara, dedicated in 1900 to Maximilian by his brother Ludovic-Viktor.