The History - The Stables
The Stables of Miramare Castle, commissioned by Maximilian of Hapsburg, were planned by the engineer Carl Junker and built between 1856 and 1860.
The building, positioned on the access road to the Castle coming from Trieste, is in a sheltered, healthy place, far enough from the residence. Consisting of a central yard open to the sea and two wings, perfectly symmetrical, it was made for horses and carriages.
Between the two World Wars, when the Castle was inhabited by the Duke of Aosta, the first changes were made to the Stables. Recently restored by the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities, they are now used for temporary exhibitions.